Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: anyone buying with the Loonie so low? anyone selling?

Quote Originally Posted by weasel642001 View Post
    looking at buying. Not from outside Canada though.

Doug.
    Check my recent post =)

Now that the loonie is so low, curious to know where are you folks selling your watches to reach US customers? I've been thinking about putting up a few on eBay but I'm unsure if that's my best option.

Looks like USDCAD is in a downtrend now and everything got more affordable compared to a couple months ago

I expect it to go even lower...
    Collection : Rolex Explorer I | Rolex Submariner 14060M | Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SKX009 |Stowa Antea KS

I wouldn't suspect a stronger CAD vs the USD given Poloz(Canadian Fed chair) has little to no more room to maneuver without affecting the Canadian economy.

Yellen(US Fed chair) has room to raise 2-3 more times over the next 12 months, Poloz likely can't move more than once... and that's unlikely.

Only caveat is if Oil materially rebounds to the 55-60$ range which could boost the Canadian economy substantially enough give Poloz the room to tighten( raise rates ).

If you're looking to take advantage, you likely only have a month or two or CAD strength before you see it start to retreat to its previous range in the low 70s.

My 2cents - and those of some really smart economists(investors)I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cadomniel View Post
    So I sold my Railmaster and buyer paid and then before I shipped it backed out and asked for a refund, I said no problem since I have not shipped yet and I gave him refund in paypal. Since I had already withdrawn his payment out of paypal the money went into my bank account then back out immediately when I gave h8im the refund now it costs $150 just in paypal's USD/CAD currency scam.

I wasn't that happy about it but I managed to end up selling to another gentleman in the USA and got the $150 back by raising the price for my watch when I listed it

Yes, I don't like using paypal and ebay anymore. It is getting expensive.
    I typically stay within Canada but took a chance on a vintage GMT about a month ago. I sent funds and then realized from some pics that the case had some issues. The seller offered a refund which was great but in the exchange back and forth I lost $500 in the currency conversions. I'll only buy within Canada for now. At least until the dollar comes back up....if it ever does
    Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
    Rolex GMT "fat lady" 16760
    Rolex police Datejust 16030
    Tudor Black Bay "Rose" 79220N
    Omega Seamaster Calypso
    Omega seamaster cal 560
    ...and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by cadomniel View Post
    So I sold my Railmaster and buyer paid and then before I shipped it backed out and asked for a refund, I said no problem since I have not shipped yet and I gave him refund in paypal. Since I had already withdrawn his payment out of paypal the money went into my bank account then back out immediately when I gave h8im the refund now it costs $150 just in paypal's USD/CAD currency scam.

I wasn't that happy about it but I managed to end up selling to another gentleman in the USA and got the $150 back by raising the price for my watch when I listed it

Yes, I don't like using paypal and ebay anymore. It is getting expensive.

Refund is always an issue.
    At once I am at US shop, made a purchase, and after I paid, I notice they change me wrong amount. They have to refund it, and change me again.
    The different in buy vs sell in exchange rate end up cost me around CAD$50, for couple hundred USD purchase.
    Now add PayPal currency exchange scam, I can see how you lost $150 .

I have PayPal just because of their currency exchange scam. I have USD account and they just won't let me use it
    My collection:
    Calibre De Cartier
    IWC Pilot Chrono 377704
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T (My work horse, for BBQ, Swimming, travels)
    MeisterSinger No. 2 Cream Dial
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar
    Rolex GMT II - 116710LN
    Omega Planet ocean 45mm Orange
    Carter Pasha Chronograph
    Rolex Air King 14000
    Ebel 1911 Chronograph Dual Tone
    1972 Vintage Rolex DateJust Two Tone - Golden Dial (From my Father)
    1969 Vintage Omega De Ville (From my Grandfather)

At this point in time, the cost of Rolex and Tudor watches in Canada, purchased from an AD, seems to be where the best deals will be.
    So far Rolex has not adjusted their Canadian pricing to reflect the low value of the loonie. I am sure this will come to an end soon, but there is also something to be said about buying in Canada, rather than in USA or abroad.
    Developing a relationship with a dealer can be of great benefit... like Cheers, I always like to go where people know my name. And dealing with the same company over and over again does give the buyer a bit of an edge.
    I visited my chosen dealer a few weeks ago and picked up a Pelagos... now I have a 41mm Classic on order with him. His customer service is top notch, he even answered and email from me at 11pm on a Saturday night.
    I am ALWAYS inclined to support local or other Canadian sources of supply.
    I just feel that even if there is not a great price advantage, I am doing my part to keep the circulation of money going/... and that benefits us all.
    IMHO.
    Ted Duskes
    1 800 341 6468

I just brought up an 18K YG Sub from the US in June.

There were none for sale in Canada, and the USD price was very good, even considering all the exchange/duty/freight charges, plus $2,200 in service costs at the RSC in Toronto. While I did not overpay, I am vested in the 16618LB at full retail, once all the dust settles. But i am happy with that.

This was a rare occurrance though, as what montrealmountain said above, is what I agree with 100%. When it comes to used watches though, if you are looking for something specific, you just have to go where the product is.