Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packaging Up Your Watch For A Safe Journey....

Administrator

Packaging Up Your Watch For A Safe Journey....

I know that everyone appreciates a well packaged watch delivered to their front door, but all too often we still receive watches that are not kept secure enough.

Sometimes guys get a bit lazy or sloppy, other times its from lack of knowledge or experience.

There are many ways to do it right, so take my advice for what its worth and not gospel.

If you are like me, then you value the boxset as well as the watch you have just purchased. So both should be equally protected.

Make sure that the watch is secure inside its box and can't pop out and float around when the package is being handled by the carrier. Use some folded bubble wrap or styro chips to help. Make sure that things are not moving around within the boxset. With a bit of patience and minimal material you can make it so that NOTHING moves when you give it a shake. Only sound I like to hear when I shake a package is the faint whir from the the watch's winding rotor!

Then wrap the boxset completely in bubble wrap. No serious trader should be without a roll of it. Easy to find at post offices, Staples or even some dollar stores. The whole package should be fully protected equally on all six sides. Then use 2" clear wrapping tape to secure it. I use 3", but that is a bit harder to find. Staples does sell a 3" tape gun kit.

Select a CORRUGATED box that is approximately 1" greater in dimension than all sides of the bubble wrapped boxset. Use styro chips or bubble to fill in the space between the inner boxset and the outer boxset walls. Don't use a box that is way too big unless you have tons of styro chips to fill it with, or have unlimited shipping funds. Most carriers apply volumetric pricing, so if your box is too large you will be paying for extra pounds for nothing. Your whole package may weigh 3 pounds, but you may be billed for 8 pounds!

Don't trust a single strand of tape to seal a box that has such valuable contents. The cost of tape is negligable compared to the contents. Use it liberally to make sure all edges are seled. I even tape the side of the box where its glued, just to be more cautious.

Once that box is sealed, give it a shake.... nothing should be rattling around inside.

These are all rules that I live by, and I am sure that many of the guys I have dealt with have appreciated the extra effort taken to assure that their watches have arrived as safely as possible.

Happy Trading!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Fantastic advice, Bobby! Thanks for sharing and something all members and traders should pay attention to. The condition of boxset and contents should always arrive to the new owner in the same condition they leave your hands. As the shipper, we should be taking the proper care and time to ensure this is the case.

Why didn't I think of that? Excellent advice!

Thanks for this Bobby. One thing to add is that you secure any screwdrivers, extra links etc... If they move around in the box in transit, they could damage the watch.

Doug

Good advice.
    I have often used bubble wrap inside the watch box to prevent the watch from moving around.
    For the last few watches that I shipped, I took care of the inside of the watch box myself. Then, I took the box set to UPS for packing. They charge $10-$15 to wrap the box set with bubble wrap and then package it inside a cardboard box. You can then take the package to Canada Post for cheaper shipping or, as I have done, just ship it by UPS since you're already standing inside their store.
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

As a buyer, I will definitely look at receiving my pieces like this. Any steps missing should be communicated to the seller, via PM to help them improve, or via feedback if they repeatedly package improperly.
    I once received a watch in a bubble envelope! All was fine, but I made sure the seller knew I was not happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
    Why didn't I think of that? Excellent advice!
    Yeah... that is really a fantastic idea

Great post Bobby. In fact this is how I pack all my watches now since I bought my first one from you years ago.

Buyers always appreciate a tight and protected package at the door.

Love it!!! Thank you so much for that idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound advice. I have recently received a watch with the extra links floating around freely in the box.. wasn't too impressed.