Thread: Jaeger LeCoultre versus Franck Muller

Jaeger LeCoultre versus Franck Muller

Hello,

I'm new to this forum! I am buying my first "real" watch this weekend, a particularly sweet pleasure as I've been a watch aficionado all my adult life. I've narrowed my long search down to two models that are drastically different from each other. I'd like some feedback on your thoughts.

The JLC Master Compressor Diving watch is my first pick because JLC is a fine example of the watchmaking craft at its best and I prefer quality over anything else. I love the ultra legible black dial and the compression technology of the two funky crowns. The Franck Muller made it to my short list because of its exquisite dial and the gorgeous tonneau shape. I don't like that I cannot find information about the FM calibers and there are many mixed reviews about the brand.

I have noticed over the years that watch talk is largely a man's domain, but hey, here I am jumping into the fray. The FM is certainly the more feminine choice between the two.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your upcoming purchase! I much prefer JLC as a brand, and between the two choices you have, but I suspect either will serve you very well.

Quote Originally Posted by opusx11 View Post
    Congrats on your upcoming purchase! I much prefer JLC as a brand, and between the two choices you have, but I suspect either will serve you very well.
    Thanks Opusx11
    I agree that both will serve me well. I'm heavily leaning towards the JLC because of the brand's superior reputation and I love the watch itself. Buying a pre-owned JLC means I get great value. Not sure why FM is a little more expensive.

Hey beanca without knowing where you will be wearing your watch I would put my confidence in the JLC. I think you'll get a little more use out of the watch. It's more robust and is more casual compared to the FM. I have never owned a FM so can't give you anymore input for that. Good luck with the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input EJackson. The watch will be an everyday watch! I'm not the type to switch from one day to the next, nor from weekday to weekend. When I love a watch I wear it all the time. I know the FM would look beautiful whether I'm dressed up or in casual clothes. However, I suspect (or I hope) the JLC would be just as versatile.

JLC by a long shot, especially if this is your everyday watch. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by beanca View Post
    Thank you for your input EJackson. The watch will be an everyday watch! I'm not the type to switch from one day to the next, nor from weekday to weekend. When I love a watch I wear it all the time. I know the FM would look beautiful whether I'm dressed up or in casual clothes. However, I suspect (or I hope) the JLC would be just as versatile.

If you're looking for more versatility, the JLC hands down. The FM is fairly limited in its use IMO.