Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Breitling

Vintage Breitling

I thought I'd share my small collection of Breitlings with you, as well as some information for those who are interested. I only became interested in vintage watches at the beginning of the year so I am by no means a seasoned collector, but I've learnt a few things along the way that may be useful. But lets start with the pics!

This is a Cadette ref.1188 powered by a Venus 188, serial # dates it to 1952., gold plated rather than solid unfortunately, but luckily not many scuffs, at 37mm its a great size.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01566.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	25258

This is a Chronomat 769, one of the earlier models from 1946. This one is 18k rose gold and the dial is in really great condition. At 35mm it is just about as small a watch as I feel good wearing, but I think its the most beautiful watch that I own.

Name:	DSC_0005_5.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	25259

Name:	DSC01571.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	25260

I became interested in vintage Breitling after reading this article that I recommend: https://www.fratellowatches.com/vint...rt-interviews/ and somehow they really grabbed me, even though I have no feeling at all for the modern brand. I really like the romantic cursive logo and the association with early flight, and I feel the dials are exceptionally well balanced and elegant.

One thing I discovered when considering my first purchase is that there are many many fakes being sold as Breitlings, so I was lucky to come across the vintage section of the http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/ where more experienced collectors will post their thoughts on prospective purchases, I highly recommend going there if you are considering making a purchase but you're unsure of its authenticity.

For anyone interested in Chronomats, there is a great article here that was very helpful when I bought mine https://vintagewatchworld.jimdo.com/...nomat-ref-769/ and there is another article on the Navitimer on the same site.

I am hoping to add a stainless steel Premier, and a Navitimer at some point, though I'm not actively looking right now. If anyone else has an interest in old Breitlings please feel free to share!

I'm not too interested in Breitlings in general as their modern lineup doesn't feel like my style. But I love these two watches, the Chronomat especially. Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERY Nice watches! Classic style!!

Quote Originally Posted by dplawiuk View Post
    I'm not too interested in Breitlings in general as their modern lineup doesn't feel like my style. But I love these two watches, the Chronomat especially. Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I entirely agree, the modern lineup is not appealing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
    VERY Nice watches! Classic style!!
    Thanks! Good luck with your project.

Very cool watches! I love these vintage chronographs.
    Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
    Rolex GMT "fat lady" 16760
    Rolex police Datejust 16030
    Tudor Black Bay "Rose" 79220N
    Omega Seamaster Calypso
    Omega seamaster cal 560
    ...and a few others.

Those are some nice Breitlings. Like you, I'm not really interested in modern Breitling but think some of their vintage models are absolutely stunning.

My only vintage Breitling - also a Chronomat 769. Yours is a 1st execution, mine is a 2nd execution. Caseback serial dates it to '47 but dial/hands are of the '53-'57 time range (which isn't unusual). All original, except the crystal (which is a high dome). Original should be low dome. I think I'll switch it over one day.

P1170376 copy by Brain Drain, on Flickr

Next is a beautiful vintage Navitimer. Unfortunately, not mine. Fortunately, I can play with it often!

P1170692 copy by Brain Drain, on Flickr

A colleague at work showed me this piece. I think it dates from the mid-60's and was his grandfather's watch. It sat in a box for 40 years and now runs about 10 min fast every hour. I think he would entertain an offer but I have idea how much it would cost for a service and repair.

Name:	ref 4516.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	27682
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer
    Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500

Quote Originally Posted by WTOdis View Post
    A colleague at work showed me this piece. I think it dates from the mid-60's and was his grandfather's watch. It sat in a box for 40 years and now runs about 10 min fast every hour. I think he would entertain an offer but I have idea how much it would cost for a service and repair.

Name:	ref 4516.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	27682
    He would sell his Grandfather's watch

Quote Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
    Those are some nice Breitlings. Like you, I'm not really interested in modern Breitling but think some of their vintage models are absolutely stunning.

My only vintage Breitling - also a Chronomat 769. Yours is a 1st execution, mine is a 2nd execution. Caseback serial dates it to '47 but dial/hands are of the '53-'57 time range (which isn't unusual). All original, except the crystal (which is a high dome). Original should be low dome. I think I'll switch it over one day.

P1170376 copy by Brain Drain, on Flickr

Next is a beautiful vintage Navitimer. Unfortunately, not mine. Fortunately, I can play with it often!

P1170692 copy by Brain Drain, on Flickr
    Thanks for chiming in! Your Chronomat is in great shape, if I were to get another I would want SS with white dial, but I think I'll go for a Navitimer next, though not this year.