Thread: Buying Overseas

Buying Overseas

Hey all,

Going on a trip in September, we'll be passing by the Hong Kong airport, going to Manila(airport only) then Bangkok and Phuket. I'll also be connecting through Seattle and Detroit along the way (short connections though)

I'm thinking of purchasing a Heuer Calibre 6 or a Longines star series while I'm abroad but I'm not 100% sure it would even be worth it? Anyone have any experience buying in Bangkok/Phuket or in the airports at Hong Kong/Manila/Detroit or Seattle?(international traveler through each so Duty free is open to me)

I'm curious if it might be worth it or if I can get a similar price from an AD in Montreal?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SSLanglois View Post
    Hey all,

Going on a trip in September, we'll be passing by the Hong Kong airport, going to Manila(airport only) then Bangkok and Phuket. I'll also be connecting through Seattle and Detroit along the way (short connections though)

I'm thinking of purchasing a Heuer Calibre 6 or a Longines star series while I'm abroad but I'm not 100% sure it would even be worth it? Anyone have any experience buying in Bangkok/Phuket or in the airports at Hong Kong/Manila/Detroit or Seattle?(international traveler through each so Duty free is open to me)

I'm curious if it might be worth it or if I can get a similar price from an AD in Montreal?

Thanks!

I have been to Bangkok several times and it's not really a watch destination so I doubt you will find much there. Besides, with so many amazing things to see there, why waste time looking for watch stores. As for Phuket, you probably won't find much there either. HK has lots of watches available duty free, but know the Canadian prices for the pieces you want first and see if you can find any bargains (don't forget to factor in the roughly 20% duty/taxes you will need to pay when you bring the watch back into Canada).

Regarding the Detroit/Seattle airports, forget about that, you won't find anything there.

My experience has been that there aren't many bargains to be found overseas unless you are looking for something particularly obscure that just can't be found over here or ordered online.

Do your homework before you leave home to get a sense of the prices and discounts available; and then compare when you get on the road. In Hong Kong, there's definitely a lot of choice and a certain amount of haggling to be done. So knowing what you can get at home versus what's on offer elsewhere will help you make the right decision.

Thanks! I've kind of nailed down the online price of the piece I'm looking at, haven't had a chance to visit an AD in Montreal yet as I live in the burbs and we have no ADs other than Citizen and Buluva...I'll check one out this week and see if I can get it before my trip(and more importantly wedding lol)

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by SSLanglois View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks!

Other members have mentionned it already: the important thing is to know the Canadian price beforehand. This might be off-topic, but from my experience on a trip to Switzerland last year, prices there are higher! Not suprising really, with the very strong Swiss francs. Most of the watches (I like Omegas and IWCs) I saw where generally cheaper in Canada, or around the same price. One thing about being in Switzerland though: the best selection in the world for sure !

I have shopped a lot over seas in last couple of years. But never bought anything horological while on vacation. Just like the other responses. The best deals it seems are always right here in Canada. Plus no customs hassles.
    Neophyte collector:

Current Semi Permanent Collection

Omega Ti Seamaster 2232
    Omega Speedmaster 311.30
    IWC Deep 2
    Rolex 116600 SD4K
    Rolex 16520 Daytona
    Rolex 116618 LB Sub
    Rolex 12660 Red SD4K
    Rolex 116618 LB
    Panerai 177
    Panerai 305
    Panerai 352
    Panerai 421

Hunting List

Vintage Seadweller

Canadas the cheapest

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    Canadas the cheapest
    Agreed! Been down south and in Asia, Canada is definitely cheaper. And I have family with contacts at the ADs. I feel like it's mostly due to our weak dollar though. If you're not getting a smoking deal anyways, just makes more sense to buy local to avoid the potential customs/duties issue.

Another reminder people often forget is when paying by credit card, there is a foreign transaction surcharge plus a CC exchange rate which is higher than the bank's official rate, making any savings diminish.
    The final amount charged is often not known until the bill is issued, no customer service telephone can verify or confirm.
    Cash advance is even worse, dont think about it.