Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on Where to Start...

Quote Originally Posted by dplawiuk View Post
    I don’t know any AD that sells vintage. There are some places in TO that do sell vintage, but they make a $500+ margin per watch, so a $600 Watch is very unlikely.

Personally I stay away from Chrono24, but do use eBay frequently. In general on eBay assume every point that’s left unclear is negative. ie. “runs but haven’t timed it” can be assumed to mean that it doesn’t keep time. “Service history unknown but runs great” means needs a service. In fact, anything but an included receipt for an overhaul should be read as service-required.
    If you take a transaction off-site to save money you lose the eBay guarantee.

Whenever possible I buy from a reputable member on CWC. No source more trustworthy than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your advice.
    I won’t rule out eBay, but surely there must be more trusted channels online to find watches. I know there’s a guarantee, but eBay always feels just a level below Kijiji/Craigslist for scammers.
    Why do you avoid Chrono24 because of the high prices?

Being new here, I wouldn’t know who is reputable member, but I suspect I could go through their history/posts.

Quote Originally Posted by blindemboss View Post
    Thanks for your advice.
    I won’t rule out eBay, but surely there must be more trusted channels online to find watches. I know there’s a guarantee, but eBay always feels just a level below Kijiji/Craigslist for scammers.
    Why do you avoid Chrono24 because of the high prices?

Being new here, I wouldn’t know who is reputable member, but I suspect I could go through their history/posts.
    There are 2 sections in the Buy/Sell board on CWC for positive and negative feedback. Well worth your while to search the username there if you’re thinking about buying or selling.

Chrono24 prices seem high and I find communication there far poorer than through eBay. It could just be that I had a bad 1st couple of experiences and wrote it off based on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are four Canadian websites with vintage watch selections, where you can learn a lot. Two have particularly good pictures. The descriptions can be a little overblown sometimes, but they are great for comparison shopping on designs, vintage brands, and price.

Watchestobuy (London, ON)
    Darlor Watches (Niagara on the Lake)
    Trebor Vintage Watches (Montreal)
    Yorktime (Toronto)

Vintage watches are everywhere. Antique stores and multi-dealer antique malls. Many jewellery stores carry estate watches. Many watchmakers, too. Pawnshops typically have them from time to time. Go and handle and ask about them, as much as you can stand to do that. Be respectful of shopkeepers' time, please.

My advice for starting up in expensively is to learn some of the lesser-known Swiss brands, how to identify a decent quality movement and understand some of the common and easily fixed problems that can be made right relatively cheaply by a competent watchmaker with a good inventory of vintage parts. Which brings me to the last but possibly best advice--find a super local watchmaker and make a new friend.

Buy the Price Guide (a used copy is fine) and Richard Watkins' Practical Watch Collecting.

Good hunting!

Haha. "inexpensively"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
    Here are four Canadian websites with vintage watch selections, where you can learn a lot. Two have particularly good pictures. The descriptions can be a little overblown sometimes, but they are great for comparison shopping on designs, vintage brands, and price.

Watchestobuy (London, ON)
    Darlor Watches (Niagara on the Lake)
    Trebor Vintage Watches (Montreal)
    Yorktime (Toronto)

Vintage watches are everywhere. Antique stores and multi-dealer antique malls. Many jewellery stores carry estate watches. Many watchmakers, too. Pawnshops typically have them from time to time. Go and handle and ask about them, as much as you can stand to do that. Be respectful of shopkeepers' time, please.

My advice for starting up in expensively is to learn some of the lesser-known Swiss brands, how to identify a decent quality movement and understand some of the common and easily fixed problems that can be made right relatively cheaply by a competent watchmaker with a good inventory of vintage parts. Which brings me to the last but possibly best advice--find a super local watchmaker and make a new friend.

Buy the Price Guide (a used copy is fine) and Richard Watkins' Practical Watch Collecting.

Good hunting!
    Those are some really helpful tips! Thanks! I definitely want to educate myself more, and those are some useful pointers you gave me. I saw that book earlier while searching on amazon for stuff to read - good to know that there's a recommendation for it here on the CWC from you.

no crown means "Trouble" g-d knows what condensation got into the movement i.e bad hairspring now, rust etc. Beware and again it's Ebay so expect trouble

Which brings me to the last but possibly best advice--find a super local watchmaker and make a new friend.
    This is great advice! And often they keep some pieces to sell also.

Regarding dealers vs ebay - dealers charge quite a premium but you do at least get some reassurance that the watch will run (but don't assume that because it is from a dealer that it will be authentic...), ebay is definitely the wild west but if you are patient and careful there are bargains.
    I found that seeking out expert advice from other enthusiasts is the best way to learn, https://omegaforums.net/ and http://breitlingsource.com/ are great resources for those brands.

There seems to be someone in vancouver selling vintage watches on craigslist for pretty good prices, for the OP - the hamilton sector dial for 140 really looks like a steal. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/sear...&sort=pricedsc

Disclaimer: I have never dealt with this person so I make no guarantees about anything! Though if someone from out of town is interested I could act as an intermediary to ensure the watch does exist and runs.

Good hunting!
    Discovered that my local library has a mint copy of the 2015 price guide!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180107_165951.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	32590

Lots of good information here - thanks for the pointer Nick9.

I would suggest finding a vintage Seiko you like, for a few reasons:

1) They’re plentiful;
    2) They’re well made watches;
    3) Parts are widely available for most models (not an insignificant thing; and,
    4) Vintage Seiko isn’t the same minefield as vintage Omega, Tudor or other similar brands, where the market is rife with re-dials, frankens and scammers.

For example:

https://i.imgur.com/sXgiOv7_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium