Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: So this can happen if you don't declare something at the border...

I noticed that a lot of people are discontent with CBS and with the current laws. Perhaps is the time to vote for a change and if there is no candidate interested to add these issues on the electoral platform maybe the time has come for CWC members to enter Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dealaddict View Post
    I agreed that the tax exemption should be increased. Now in Vancouver, a house is averaging $1.5 million. The $800 tax exemption is so disconnected with the reality. Just like the home buyer plan that borrow $25,000 from RRSP. It is a joke. I think the tax exemption should be something like $3000 per person for more than 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regulations are always incredibly slow to update. The exemption limits have barely changed in well over 20 years - it used to be $750 I think for over 7 days, then a few years back they merged it into the 48 hour exemption and increased it to $800, which is still pretty pathetic.

It's like the FINTRAC reporting limit. It's been $10,000 for decades as far as I know - $10,000 back in 1995 is many times more than $10,000 today. In the case of FINTRAC, as far as I know, keeping the limit as is actually hinders their monitoring, as they receive an overwhelming number of reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I noticed that a lot of people are discontent with CBS and with the current laws. Perhaps is the time to vote for a change and if there is no candidate interested to add these issues on the electoral platform maybe the time has come for CWC members to enter Politics.
    Much easier to shout and scream from the comfort of your living room on the computer, rather than to vote, write to your local MP, or run for office.

Ive crossed our border many times, and 99% of the time went straight through. Iíve always declared everything because I want to be able to travel with as little hassle as possible. One interesting event did happen at USA customs at Pearson.
    I was travelling for work and the agent saw my passport had a Cuban stamp. He lost his freaking mind. Accused me of supporting the ďtrinity of evilĒ as defined by Busch at the time. I wanted to explain that Cuba was not named as part of the trinity. I didnít because even though I hadnít done anything illegal, he could probably make my life miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdreg View Post
    I wanted to explain that Cuba was not named as part of the trinity. I didnít because even though I hadnít done anything illegal, he could probably make my life miserable.
    This is what is called "good decision-making".

Quote Originally Posted by Jdreg View Post
    Ive crossed our border many times, and 99% of the time went straight through. I’ve always declared everything because I want to be able to travel with as little hassle as possible. One interesting event did happen at USA customs at Pearson.
    I was travelling for work and the agent saw my passport had a Cuban stamp. He lost his freaking mind. Accused me of supporting the “trinity of evil” as defined by Busch at the time. I wanted to explain that Cuba was not named as part of the trinity. I didn’t because even though I hadn’t done anything illegal, he could probably make my life miserable.
    I could only imagine what would happen if I had a North Korea stamp in my passport - I was disappointed that when I went, they didn't stamp my passport.

Interestingly enough, I disclosed North Korea on the list of countries for my NEXUS renewal last year and no one raised an issue - no need to interview again.

Quote Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
    I could only imagine what would happen if I had a North Korea stamp in my passport - I was disappointed that when I went, they didn't stamp my passport.

Interestingly enough, I disclosed North Korea on the list of countries for my NEXUS renewal last year and no one raised an issue - no need to interview again.
    I will NEVER, EVER put my Nexus status in jeopardy.
    The convenience and safety are worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

I just came back into the country from LV this morning, 40 minutes from wheels down to grabbing a cab. CBSA agents were pleasant to deal with, used NEXUS.

Not to keep bumping an older thread, but a buddy of my brothers got stopped at Pearson, it was his wife actually, who concealed a Tag they bought while on vacation. The customs officer, after asking if they had anything to declare ( and she said no) said her credit card showed a charge for an expensive item. They searched her luggage found the watch and they paid the fines etc.....my question is, do the border officials have access to your credit card profiles simply by scanning your passport? I always declare my goods but am curious to know?
    Watches:

116613 LB

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
    Not to keep bumping an older thread, but a buddy of my brothers got stopped at Pearson, it was his wife actually, who concealed a Tag they bought while on vacation. The customs officer, after asking if they had anything to declare ( and she said no) said her credit card showed a charge for an expensive item. They searched her luggage found the watch and they paid the fines etc.....my question is, do the border officials have access to your credit card profiles simply by scanning your passport? I always declare my goods but am curious to know?
    That sounds highly implausible.

If big brother knew everything you do, he wouldn't ask you for a declaration, he would simply hand you a bill upon re-entry.
    ďI know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.Ē
    Albert Einstein