Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Price and its impact on your enjoyment of a watch?

Price and its impact on your enjoyment of a watch?

I've been having thoughts on this as of late - how does the price of a watch impact your enjoyment?

I recently picked up a Tudor Pelagos LHD and I will admit that I had some doubts about how much I would enjoy it, when I had other pricier pieces I was enjoying. It turns out, it is a piece that I am enjoying very much, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. I definitely enjoy it much more than some APs I've had in the past, which cost more. Sure, the Tudor doesn't have the snob or prestige value the APs had, but it's a piece that ticks a lot of the right boxes for me in terms of comfort, reliability, looks and functionality.

There are days where cost definitely has a negative impact on my enjoyment of a watch. Every time I put on that AP, Patek or Rolex, I live in fear of smacking it into doors, my shirt cuff swirling up the polished parts, it being stolen when I lock it away in the gym locker or leaving it at home, etc, such that I feel like the watch is wearing me, and not the other way around. And then there are days where it gives me a sense of confidence, in that it reminds me how hard I hard to work to buy the watch and what milestone it may have marked.

Since I got into vintage, it's taken away a lot of fears about price. Meaning, unless I run into a big watch nerd, nobody's going to know how much the watch I'm wearing is worth.

Absolutely agree with the watch is wearing me. Fear of attention damage or theft has made me lean on my 16570 in a lot of situations even though I had beautiful watches tucked away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
    I've been having thoughts on this as of late - how does the price of a watch impact your enjoyment?

I recently picked up a Tudor Pelagos LHD and I will admit that I had some doubts about how much I would enjoy it, when I had other pricier pieces I was enjoying. It turns out, it is a piece that I am enjoying very much, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. I definitely enjoy it much more than some APs I've had in the past, which cost more. Sure, the Tudor doesn't have the snob or prestige value the APs had, but it's a piece that ticks a lot of the right boxes for me in terms of comfort, reliability, looks and functionality.

There are days where cost definitely has a negative impact on my enjoyment of a watch. Every time I put on that AP, Patek or Rolex, I live in fear of smacking it into doors, my shirt cuff swirling up the polished parts, it being stolen when I lock it away in the gym locker or leaving it at home, etc, such that I feel like the watch is wearing me, and not the other way around. And then there are days where it gives me a sense of confidence, in that it reminds me how hard I hard to work to buy the watch and what milestone it may have marked.
    I've been back and forth for years about this.

I've owned watches range from $500 to $10,000.

I got bored of the $10,000 Panerai almost as quickly as the $3,000 Bell & Ross. What does this tell me?

Price alone doesn't guarantee satisfaction. My favourite piece ever is my $2550 Montblanc and another favorite was my departed Heuer 01.

Having said all of that, I am obsessively fantasizing about some crazy expensive watches these days...
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

I'm enjoying a Steinhart ocean one red a ton, super affordable but it feels just as qualified to make me happy as my Oris or even the Omegas I've looked at. Pretty snobby to wear a watch because of it's price IMO

I find I have higher expectations for more expensive watches. Like looking at a Rolex and a small part of me asking myself whether it's actually worth all that money. Whereas I get mesmerized by a Seiko dial and just appreciate it for what it is.

I took delivery of my first Seiko today. I'm happy with my purchase but my first thought was is my Omega really worth 12X as much? Do I get 12X the satisfaction? Am I 12X as happy when I wear a more expensive watch? Diminishing returns comes to mind. Having said that I'm not selling my Omegas.

Great post explaining the dichotomy of this hobby. I very much agree with your sentiment, I worry about my expensive pieces but I have never held on to a more "modest" watch for long.

With all the watches I owned and still own, nothing brings me more joy than my Speedy Pro. The intimacy of winding it in the morning and the way it awes me every time its on a different bracelet, strap or nato! Its definitely the one that brings me most joy for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Rolex Day-Date 36 [18238]
    Rolex Datejust 41 [126334]
    Rolex Submariner Date [116610LV]
    Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
    Omega Seamaster Professional PO [2201.50 - 2500D]
    Omega Speedmaster Professional [311.30.42.30.01.005]
    Casio G-Shock Multi Band 6 [GW-5000-1JF]

Thought Id add a splash of color to this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Rolex Day-Date 36 [18238]
    Rolex Datejust 41 [126334]
    Rolex Submariner Date [116610LV]
    Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
    Omega Seamaster Professional PO [2201.50 - 2500D]
    Omega Speedmaster Professional [311.30.42.30.01.005]
    Casio G-Shock Multi Band 6 [GW-5000-1JF]