Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Price and its impact on your enjoyment of a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lhawli View Post
    Thought I’d add a splash of color to this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Slick.
    You have quite the impressive collection. Good stuff.
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

That is why, even if I have several high end watches, I always enjoy wearing...... my SKX007! Never worried about banging the watch on door frames, scratching the crystal, leaving it in my locker, having it stolen, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
    There are days where cost definitely has a negative impact on my enjoyment of a watch. Every time I put on that AP, Patek or Rolex, I live in fear of smacking it into doors, my shirt cuff swirling up the polished parts, it being stolen when I lock it away in the gym locker or leaving it at home, etc, such that I feel like the watch is wearing me, and not the other way around. And then there are days where it gives me a sense of confidence, in that it reminds me how hard I hard to work to buy the watch and what milestone it may have marked.
    I get what you're trying to say here (it's all relative), but the LHD is in no way a watch that shouldn't garner that same type of anxiety with respect to banging it into doors, fear of it being stolen in a locker, swirls etc.
    Let's ignore the MRSP just call it approximately a $4000 watch. Majority of people outside of the WIS community would baby the crap out of a watch in that price range!

Just thought it was a funny way to look at our "cheaper" watches because I had to do some rougher errands today (one of which involved washing the car), and I originally had a GSOTM on, but swapped it out for a Seamaster as if it wasn't just as precious. Pricewise it definitely isn't, but it made me laugh in retrospect.

To answer your question though, I find if I like a watch, I like a watch and will enjoy wearing it. I actually find lower price point watches to give me a better peace of mind as I don't think about it as much if I decide to mess around in my day so I understand what you were trying to say.
    I find the higher pricepoint watches occasionally garner unwanted attention as well.
    If in doubt, flat out. -Colin McRae

I’ve realized that there is ZERO relation between price and enjoyment for me. That being said, I max out at Speedy Pro and Datejust as the priciest watches I own.
    I do baby some watches, and try to keep a few out of bad weather, but price isn’t really a limiting factor on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it is a function of whether or not the watch is a keeper. If I have any doubt that I may not keep it for the long term, I am much more hesitant about freely wearing the watch.

Once I have decided to keep a watch - I am much free'er to wear it and enjoy it. The price becomes less a factor as I know it will get scratches and that is OK.

Now theft is a different story - I will certainly edit my watch to the situation I am in. Going to the gym - beat up Tag F1...Going to a baseball game, dress down (who wants to draw attention and get mugged!).
    Rolex 116713LN || Rolex 116610LV || Rolex 16710 || Omega Speedmaster Professional || Omega Geneve || Tag Heuer Formula One Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by gfountain View Post
    I took delivery of my first Seiko today. I'm happy with my purchase but my first thought was is my Omega really worth 12X as much? Do I get 12X the satisfaction? Am I 12X as happy when I wear a more expensive watch? Diminishing returns comes to mind. Having said that I'm not selling my Omegas.
    Same situation for me. I got my first Seiko, which is my first real watch below a few thousand dollars and up. I'm quite impressed as I have a great feeling when u put it on. There is a lot of value in those watches and it makes me feel good for whatever reason! No complex there!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Breitling Navitimer 01
    Omega Seamaster 300mc
    Panerai 111
    Seiko Prospex Samurai Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Broencephalon View Post
    I get what you're trying to say here (it's all relative), but the LHD is in no way a watch that shouldn't garner that same type of anxiety with respect to banging it into doors, fear of it being stolen in a locker, swirls etc.
    Let's ignore the MRSP just call it approximately a $4000 watch. Majority of people outside of the WIS community would baby the crap out of a watch in that price range!

Just thought it was a funny way to look at our "cheaper" watches because I had to do some rougher errands today (one of which involved washing the car), and I originally had a GSOTM on, but swapped it out for a Seamaster as if it wasn't just as precious. Pricewise it definitely isn't, but it made me laugh in retrospect.

To answer your question though, I find if I like a watch, I like a watch and will enjoy wearing it. I actually find lower price point watches to give me a better peace of mind as I don't think about it as much if I decide to mess around in my day so I understand what you were trying to say.
    I find the higher pricepoint watches occasionally garner unwanted attention as well.
    Good points - the spirit of what I was saying was not to say that the LHD is a watch I will beat without thinking twice about it, but maybe that it hurts less if I get that swirl on it as opposed to a more expensive piece, and therefore leads to less anxiety about wearing it and going about my daily routines. Regardless of value, I consciously take good care of my stuff.

Good points - the spirit of what I was saying was not to say that the LHD is a watch I will beat without thinking twice about it, but maybe that it hurts less if I get that swirl on it as opposed to a more expensive piece, and therefore leads to less anxiety about wearing it and going about my daily routines. Regardless of value, I consciously take good care of my stuff.
    If you own a titanium watch and weren’t open to getting it marked up you’d never put it on your wrist. You look at titanium funny and it adds a little “character”

Quote Originally Posted by dplawiuk View Post
    If you own a titanium watch and weren’t open to getting it marked up you’d never put it on your wrist. You look at titanium funny and it adds a little “character”

Oh for sure. I have a bike frame made of Ti and it's the exact same thing. Beautiful sandblasted finish, but look at it wrong and it'll mark up. On the first day of wearing my LHD it picked up a few marks even though I explicitly recall it not touching anything else other than my cotton shirt.

Oh for sure. I have a bike frame made of Ti and it's the exact same thing. Beautiful sandblasted finish, but look at it wrong and it'll mark up. On the first day of wearing my LHD it picked up a few marks even though I explicitly recall it not touching anything else other than my cotton shirt.
    Yup. Had my Pelagos for 2 years now. After 1 week I realized the goal was to achieve attractive balance in the marks. There’s no avoiding them.