Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Price and its impact on your enjoyment of a watch?

Its true, my seawolf chrono is one of my favorite watches! With a higher prices also comes higher expectation

I'm still new and have limited ownership experience, but my subc is so obviously better quality than most watches in $1-5k price range (that I've handled) that I have to say, yes price seems to make a difference. My one Tudor watch is not even in the same category. What I observe with my single Rolex that stands out to me:

The bracelet is very well made with tight tolerances
    The machined clasp with micro-adjust seems a nice piece of manufacturing all on its own
    The way the bezel turns/clicks strikes me as being intentional like how doors close on a Lexus
    Feel of the crown winding and adjusting time is excellent
    Case finishing is great
    It's the most consistently accurate of my mechanical watches
    Continuity with it's with past/pedigree provides intangible benefit I just dig it
    It holds its value beyond reason for a consumer product

I wish it wasn't so expensive and don't even claim that it's worth the price. But the price has certainly impacted the enjoyment for me because of what I perceive to be superior quality over lower priced watches. It has peaked my interest in other makes like JLC and Grand Seiko which I perceive to offer a good price/quality proposition. I wish I could afford Patek's higher order complications, I marvel at them. At the moment I'm inclined to seek fewer higher end watches in pursuit of tangible/observable quality because it floats my boat in the geekiest kind of way.

Having said all that, I've had a Seiko turtle and Presage model that seem to punch above their weight in price-to-quality. Owning these makes me feel like a savvy consumer owning higher end watches makes me feel like Gollum.

In my experience the price doesn't affect my enjoyment. I found some very inexpensive watch I wear when working around the house as enjoyable as any Rolex. What makes a big difference for me is how comfortable it feels. I agree that with some large bulkier pieces I have a higher tendency to bang them around but I take this as the price we have to pay if we like these large wristwatches. I guess this is some fashion now with divers and 46mm cases but I am sure it will go away.

I was looking at my Black Bay and Seiko Saurai yesterday wondering why one is worth 10X the other. I don't wear the samurai very often, but I think that is because it is black and I very rarely wear black. When I am out biking or doing something I know my watch has a chance of being banged up I wear a G shock and I enjoy it for what it is. I never find myself wearing ti casually though.

If one is able to afford the watch without any psychological recourse (e.g. I should have used the money for something else like paying off a portion of my mortgage) other than "not connecting" with the watch, then no. Lately, I've been wearing my cheapest watch just because I like the overall aesthetics more and now I have a bit of angst about not wearing my more expensive watches as there is less of a connection.

But, when it comes down to a concept of monetary, there are various different reasoning/justifications behind them to ease our minds.
    Royal Orient - WE0021EG
    Orient Star - WZ0031AF
    Oceanus - OCW-S100-1AJF
    G-Shock - GW-S5600-1JF
    TC-9 Pilot
    Orex Watches

To me I aint going to lie, theres a correlation between the price and the enjoyment but also theres a point of diminishing returns as well. The point of diminishing returns is when you start to feel that the watch is so pricy that you don't want to scratch it or lose it so you start altering your behaviours around it. For instance not wearing the watch to the gym (ror pick a place) as you don't want to risk it being stolen or scratched. Its akin to those people who buy expensive cars but park far away from everyone cause they afraid others might scracth/damage their car. At that point i think the enjoyment of the item is diminishing.
    Current Collection
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80
    Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 6
    GShock Riseman GW9200-1

Its not as much about price as it is about the material of the watch. For example when it comes to my Speedy or Rolex i wear them everyday and treat them as true tool watches- thats part of the appeal to me. While my Lange's are treated very carefully- not due to price point but due to the fact that gold is soft and the movements are not as robust as a Rolex but i don't hesitate wearing them on a daily basis and scratches don't bother me that much.
    Instagram: Thewindingstem

Glad your enjoying the LHD. I really like the warmth of that piece (which is why I have my BBN instead of a sub).

As for me, I don't worry about the little things. That doesn't mean I'm not careful, but I buy watches to wear and enjoy them. It's what they're made for, bumps happen, they become part of the patina. Same will happen when I get a Journe, I'll wear and enjoy it.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by rekun View Post
    I find I have higher expectations for more expensive watches. Like looking at a Rolex and a small part of me asking myself whether it's actually worth all that money. Whereas I get mesmerized by a Seiko dial and just appreciate it for what it is.
    This
    TANTAKIAN WATCHES - Where I sell my watches

I've been intently watching this thread from the beginning trying to figure out exactly how I feel on it. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Price has zero impact in reality, I'd love it if my favourite watches were 1/10th the price they are because then I could buy 10x as many.

That comes with a huge caveat though. I'm an unabashed brand whore, I've said it before I'll say it again. There are certain things in life that I want certain brands, watches and bicycles are two of them, cars is not. In watches the brands I love, desire, want to wear, all come with a significant price tag. So does that mean my enjoyment is derived from the price or the connection to the brand? I chose to believe that it is the brand not the money. Could it be argued that my connection to the brand is driven by the price? Probably, but that becomes an un-resolvable circular argument. It could also be argued that there are lots of brands that are far more expensive that if I had the money I would still never buy.

What do I know for sure. I have two watches that I'll likely never sell. A Nixon Don that my wife (then girlfriend) bought me when she was a student and barely could afford groceries, and a Tissot T-touch that I bought on resort in Jamaica (one of the best trips my wife and I ever took). Both of these watches have significant sentimental value but I never where either of them. I changed the battery on the Tissot the other week and haven't had it on since. Why is that, well its because they are a Nixon and a Tissot, not a Rolex, a Blancpain, or a Glashutte Original, which are all options in my collection. When the Nixon was the pinnacle of my collection it got all my wrist time, when the Tissot came along I wouldn't go anywhere without it, but they both have been supplanted by others over the years. So as my place in life has changed and the options available to me for watches has changed what was once perfection is no longer desired. So does this mean that price is driving my enjoyment or that available options are driving it. I chose to believe that it is the availability of options.

I've never experienced the feeling of a watch wearing me, but I've also never owned anything from the holy trinity or anything in precious metal. When I do I'll let everyone know if that feeling changes.

So what conclusions can I draw from my ramblings? I chose to believe that I like the watches I like because I connect with the brands that make them and that they are the finest examples of horology that I can acquire. If someone came up to me and said you only wear that Rolex because it is expensive, why don't you just were a Seiko. Deep down is there a kernel of true to that proclamation? I'd be kidding myself if I said that it was 100% untrue.