Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Price and its impact on your enjoyment of a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by mmdl8 View Post
    IMHO, price is irrelevant. I enjoy my plastic Swatch every time I put it on just the same as my more pricier watches. There are different watches for different purposes and they all bring a smile to my face when I put them on.
    +1

i enjoy my Swatch Sistem51 just as much as i enjoy my Lange or Speedy Pro. Watches, regardless of price, are made to be worn and Manufacture servicing restores the watch to its original glory.
    Instagram: Thewindingstem

I definitely feel that the more I spend on a watch, the less likely I will enjoy it simply because I`m worried I'll damage it. Now if I was a millionaire...

Quote Originally Posted by halperj View Post
    This is a really timely question to answer for me. I've got an upcoming milestone in about 5 months which is the biggest in my academic life (since 2005...keeps on going) and for someone with my currently salary I always expected to go for a Rolex (Patek etc are way too much) for reasons everyone knows. I do think wearing an 8-12k watch would make me think twice about how I wear it and if something were to happen - like a ceramic bezel cracking or it getting stolen - I'd be devastated. I should be devastated because I love it more than about the cost, I guess is my point. Both matter though.

As a kid and young adult I had a $450 dollar Tissot quartz PR100 which I thought at the time was the shit. I didn't know mechanical watches existed and just having a swiss watch I thought was pretty cool.

Sometimes I wish I still had that mentality. I'm a firm believer in the paralysis of choice and this unfortunate hobby certainly suffers from that.

I'll probably just keep wearing my 30 dollar Casio and not care about it!
    My first TAG was $1200 at woodbury

I had no idea what automatic meant

That watch gave me such immense joy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeCaptain View Post
    My first TAG was $1200 at woodbury

I had no idea what automatic meant

That watch gave me such immense joy

Ignorance is bliss

www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeCaptain View Post
    Ignorance is bliss

100%
    Omega DeVille Prestige Small Seconds
    Casio Illuminator

I have watches from 40 to many thousands of dollars. All of them give enjoyment. My more expensive ones can be babied depending on the model. Sub no, navitimer yes. I admit there is a sense of prestige that comes with pricier ones, an ego boost I guess. But then itís pretty rare for anyone to notice let alone be impressed.

My less expensive ones I have fun with, and donít like then any less than the others. They can be inexpensive but they must have some huerological value. For example to me, seiko, orient, strella, all have some kind of prestige in our community unrelated to price. If anything the lower prices represent the great value they offer, and we are informed enough to know that.