Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A watch you love breaks!

A watch you love breaks!

Playing with the chronograph function on my IWC Portuguese Grand Complication when the minute counter breaks and actually blocks the minute hand! It is currently in Switzerland being repaired.
    Any other sad stories out there?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B34E7F7-0A4B-4F92-B1B5-4313C375A700.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	32620

Yowza! That's an insane piece!!! 6 figures right there... I'm insanely jealous.

My AP Royal Oak Chrono broke when I used the chrono function for the first time after a 6 month hiatus. Chrono hand wouldn't reset to zero. Resulted in a very expensive trip to the APSC, and I was so upset with it that I ended up selling it when it came back from service.

Although this wasn't a watch with a price someplace in the stratosphere, here's what happened to an Omega Speedmaster with anthracite dial I traded to a good friend of mine last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete's friend
    Well... My Speedmaster took a nasty fall this morning and now nothing works. Buttons don't stop or start the movement, and the time was frozen at the moment of impact. I changed the time and it started again but she is in bad shape...FML

Sadly the Speedmaster in question had received a full service from Omega and had until losing its argument with the floor been under full Swatch Group warranty, however an impact that severe wouldn't be covered.

Word to the wise: a lot of good watches get into bad arguments with floors. Although this wasn't what happened in the above example, I recommend keeping a single watch box in the top drawer of your washroom vanity, for use while you're in the shower, to reduce the risk of your 'grail' falling from beside the sink onto the tile floor (harder for it to 'jump' from inside that drawer).
    (plenty of positive feedback)
    Impecunious timepiece aficionado
    "Perpetually addicted to Oysters"

While setting the time on my Patek Aquanaut the watch slipped from my hand. Of course this had to happen in the only room of my old house with ceramic tile. The watch landed between my feet directly onto the tile. And of course it landed on the crown which had been pulled out to set the time. The result was a bent stem and a damaged crown tube - I actually thought it was going to be much worse.

I know a gentleman who dropped his Platinum Lange 1 on ceramic tile. Shattered the crystal completely. Had to go back to Lange for laser welding, a new crystal and dial, plus servicing. Came back virtually looking new but cost a bomb.

See my Watch Repair Horror Stories Post!
    Tom

Wow, that is awful. I don't even want to know what the service cost is on that piece...

My DJ had an encounter with the tile floor at the gym last week. I was fortunate to lessen the impact by catching it with my foot on the way down, but it still has a nasty little gash on the back of the lug. It could have been much, much worse, but it still hurts the heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Speedy Pro || DJ 116200 || GMT 16750 || BBB ETA || Seamaster Calendar || SKX007

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    Wow, that is awful. I don't even want to know what the service cost is on that piece...
    I do!

A story about a much less expensive timepiece... One of my first ever “vintage” purchases was a little dress-style seiko in NOS condition that I picked up from a seller on Reddit for a fantastic price. The thing was immaculate and a nice 36mm size. I was smitten the moment I put it on.

Inexperienced dolt that I was, when winding it for first time I bent the stem, rendering a cosmetically perfect watch useless. Value-wise, I couldn’t justify the expense of a repair (which would likely be a multiple of what I paid for it), so it sits somewhere in a bad in my attic, unused. Lesson well-learned and for little money, so the whole experience was probably a good thing long-term.