Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A watch you love breaks!

Very interesting post. I am certainly not in that league, but I have always wondered about the reliability about expensive, complicated watches. Maybe my question is moot, because if you have the money to buy, let's say a Ferrari, you have the money to deal with maintenance (and sometimes spotty reliability) !

Full service shipped to and from boutique in Toronto is $2900 plus tax of course. Not terrible for a watch this costly. This is my most expensive piece, it combines all of my favourite complications. The minute repeater is fabulous! Wakes the wife up at night, she gets sick of me checking the time in the dark, however I never tire of it!

Service=$2900 plus tax
    Not bad considering price of watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wlover1970 View Post
    Service=$2900 plus tax
    Not bad considering price of watch.
    That's extremely cheap for something that complicated. I'm hesitant to buy a Patek perpetual calendar since I've been told the service costs $5,000 and up. My AP chronograph I was quoted $3,000.

One more reason I should have been born rich instead of handsome!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
    That's extremely cheap for something that complicated. I'm hesitant to buy a Patek perpetual calendar since I've been told the service costs $5,000 and up. My AP chronograph I was quoted $3,000.
    While I can appreciate the intricate work required to service some of the complicated movements, at some point it has to just be expensive for the sake of being expensive right?
    Is there really $5000 worth of labour/materials used to service the watch? How does Patek justify the cost?
    If in doubt, flat out. -Colin McRae

Quote Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
    One more reason I should have been born rich instead of handsome!
    I would have settled for either. Iím sure I could have parlayed handsome into rich had I been given the chance.

I checked into service costs before purchasing. Patek with those complications would be about $400000 to $500000.00 , if not more! I have heard AP service is really expensive too. IWC was the bargain when comparing functions against other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by cstone28 View Post
    I would have settled for either. Iím sure I could have parlayed handsome into rich had I been given the chance.
    This cracked me up. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. "

Quote Originally Posted by Wlover1970 View Post
    I checked into service costs before purchasing. Patek with those complications would be about $400000 to $500000.00 , if not more! I have heard AP service is really expensive too. IWC was the bargain when comparing functions against other brands.
    Try closer to a million bucks. The 5208P has a perpetual calendar and chronograph with the minute repeater and is priced at $1 million USD. Just the simple minute repeater only 5078P is over $300,000.

Of course, Patek is in a different league than IWC in reputation and quality (not to say IWC is a slouch by any means).