Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys have any collecting rules??

Do you guys have any collecting rules??

So Iíve been into watches for 5 years now, but I only own one watch: a Rolex GMT 16710. Iím a 5 digit Rolex fanatic (would love to own a 16800, 16223, 16600 etc) but the reality is they are jumping in price so much right now that by the time I can afford to buy another watch without worry, I will probably be priced out. I guess I will have to see what the future holds.

I really donít mind being a one watch guy... in fact I quite like it. I never take my watch off (ever.. sleep, gym, parties, trips) so I never have to set it, never worry about it being out of sight and so on. But I definitely do want to own more watches down the line.

Iíve been thinking about what I talked about in my first paragraph, and maybe expanding my horizons and focusing on other brands for the rest of my collection. I kinda like the idea of one watch per brand and sticking to that. Build up some variety while also avoiding the rapidly inflating prices of vintage Rolex. I really like the blancpain bathyschape, Panerai 632, Breitling Superocean Heritage 42, IWC Aquatimer w/ yellow bezel, Vintage Omega Speedmasters. I think it could be a cool rule to build a collection by, and there are so many great watch brands out there to try!

So do any of you collectors do anything similar, or have an entirely different approach to collecting? Iíd love to hear about your collections.

Hope you all have a great evening.

Colin

Thought I’d include a photo of my watch too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C718CFCC-7A08-4187-A313-63BBCD6318CB.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	32771

Quote Originally Posted by colin10101 View Post
    So I’ve been into watches for 5 years now, but I only own one watch: a Rolex GMT 16710. I’m a 5 digit Rolex fanatic (would love to own a 16800, 16223, 16600 etc) but the reality is they are jumping in price so much right now that by the time I can afford to buy another watch without worry, I will probably be priced out. I guess I will have to see what the future holds.

I really don’t mind being a one watch guy... in fact I quite like it. I never take my watch off (ever.. sleep, gym, parties, trips) so I never have to set it, never worry about it being out of sight and so on. But I definitely do want to own more watches down the line.

I’ve been thinking about what I talked about in my first paragraph, and maybe expanding my horizons and focusing on other brands for the rest of my collection. I kinda like the idea of one watch per brand and sticking to that. Build up some variety while also avoiding the rapidly inflating prices of vintage Rolex. I really like the blancpain bathyschape, Panerai 632, Breitling Superocean Heritage 42, IWC Aquatimer w/ yellow bezel, Vintage Omega Speedmasters. I think it could be a cool rule to build a collection by, and there are so many great watch brands out there to try!

So do any of you collectors do anything similar, or have an entirely different approach to collecting? I’d love to hear about your collections.

Hope you all have a great evening.

Colin
    I never follow that rule because I often find two or three watches from the same brand that do it for me. It makes sense and it's nice to experience different brands, but I would never avoid a nice watch just because I had another one by the same house.
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

The problem with that, for me at least, is that some manufacturers make multiple models that I love and others don’t have anything I would care to own! For example:
    Omega makes the speedmaster and seamaster, love both.
    IWC makes the aquatimer, Big pilot, Portuguese.
    Although I respect Patek mechanically, I don’t like any of there watch designs, plus very pricey.
    Don’t personally like any Breitlings either.

My tastes have definitely evolved but generally speaking I have no rules other than to buy what I love and to wear what I have. Used to be overly conscious of having too many of one kind ..divers etc.. but not any longer.

If you are going to have one piece (for now), can't argue against the 16710 which can accommodate several different configs.. Re/ 5 digit Rollies jumping in price which is indeed the case with the majority, there are still a few bargains like the 16570 Exp 2 and 14060 Sub which comparatively speaking are a bargain. The watches on your hit list wold be outstanding additiions to anyone's collection.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeCaptain View Post
    I never follow that rule because I often find two or three watches from the same brand that do it for me. It makes sense and it's nice to experience different brands, but I would never avoid a nice watch just because I had another one by the same house.
    I get ya. If I could afford it, I could probably bury my head in Rolex watches and never need to buy another brand. I guess I'll have to asses my financial situation in a few years from now and see what I can and can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Wlover1970 View Post
    The problem with that, for me at least, is that some manufacturers make multiple models that I love and others don’t have anything I would care to own! For example:
    Omega makes the speedmaster and seamaster, love both.
    IWC makes the aquatimer, Big pilot, Portuguese.
    Although I respect Patek mechanically, I don’t like any of there watch designs, plus very pricey.
    Don’t personally like any Breitlings either.
    Start with one from each brand first

What is your collection like today?

Quote Originally Posted by tooty View Post
    My tastes have definitely evolved but generally speaking I have no rules other than to buy what I love and to wear what I have. Used to be overly conscious of having too many of one kind ..divers etc.. but not any longer.

If you are going to have one piece (for now), can't argue against the 16710 which can accommodate several different configs.. Re/ 5 digit Rollies jumping in price which is indeed the case with the majority, there are still a few bargains like the 16570 Exp 2 and 14060 Sub which comparatively speaking are a bargain. The watches on your hit list wold be outstanding additiions to anyone's collection.
    It really has been a perfect everyday watch. I can see from your avatar your have one. Do you wear it often in your collections rotation?

Yah, there are definitely still deals out there for 5 digit watches, but who knows what they will be in 4 years or so. The way the 16710 and 16610LV just exploded, the 16570, 16610, 1660 and others could be next!

I agree though... may be best not to over complicate the process.

Interesting question. I am a relatively new collector and don't know as much as some other members of the community but I do have a couple of rules I follow.

- no quartz (I know this one sounds cocky but I really don't like the ticking second hand - no offense!)
    - indirectly related but related: every penny I spend on watches, the exact same amount goes into the mortgage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maxbaris View Post
    Interesting question. I am a relatively new collector and don't know as much as some other members of the community but I do have a couple of rules I follow.

- no quartz (I know this one sounds cocky but I really don't like the ticking second hand - no offense!)
    - indirectly related but related: every penny I spend on watches, the exact same amount goes into the mortgage!

maxbaris- no quartz! ?!? That's so 2012, man! Lol.....says the guy who just couldn't go quartz for his 40BDP, not even the VHP quartz
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeCaptain View Post
    maxbaris- no quartz! ?!? That's so 2012, man! Lol.....says the guy who just couldn't go quartz for his 40BDP, not even the VHP quartz
    Haha #NoQuartz

The 16710 is one of 3 Rollies in the family, also have a 14060m and a 116520 It gets the most wrist time of the 3 just pipping the Sub. Doesn't mean I love it more than the rest of the kids, I just find it the most versatile and appealing.... That and I can't seem to get over my Magnum PI nostalgia ..was my favorite TV show growing up.