Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys have any collecting rules??

My testicles withdraw into my body cavity at the thought of self imposed rules for watch collecting.

Maybe fluid guidelines...but please, not rules.

Then again perhaps you guys are right. This isn't a hobby – it's an addiction that needs to be managed with consumption limits and such.

I'm afraid.

It’s a rule that if my wife likes the watch the odds of acquiring it goes dramatically

No dress watches for me. I do wear a suit, so it has to be something I can wear under a shirt cuff. I have had several chronographs and have sold them, so time only and time and date work for me. After buying and selling many watches, I know what I like. I don't buy to flip any more, so it has to be something I like.

Have a good day

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by cstone28 View Post
    That's going to be really tough to adhere to once the watches in your expected line arrive, especially knowing your affinity for the top two in your current line.
    That's a bridge I'm going to cross when I get there even if that means some outgoings...

My plan originally was to work my way up to a couple of Rolex grails. But, as Colin mentioned, the prices are exploding on vintage pieces in the past year. I actually have found myself stepping back from Rolex to an extent lately as I seem to have a hard time rationalizing walking around with a watch that is worth 20, 30k...

Maybe that reasoning will change but for now I seem to be focusing on vintage Tudors more. That said, there is still always the thought of a nice double red sea dweller or 70's gold sub floating around in my mind.

The addiction is unquenchable.
    Rolex Yachtmaster 16622
    Rolex GMT "fat lady" 16760
    Tudor RCN Milsub 94010
    Tudor Snowflake 7021
    Tudor Black Bay "Black Rose" 79220N
    Omega Seamaster Calypso
    Omega seamaster cal 560
    ...and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    So you dont collect automatics? only Manual wind?

cool.
    Correct- had a Rolex Explorer briefly and a JLC MUT MUP but sold them because they were automatic. I currently have a Sistem51 HODINKEE edition but I donít consider it part of my collection itís just a plastic watch for my nieces to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
    Scratch that, one hardline rule I do have is that the market value of my collection is not to exceed $100,000 USD at any point in time.
    Great rule but Iíd make it 100k GBP lol

Some really interesting input in this thread, thank you all for replying.

After reading saskmh's post, i tend to agree that I am not comfortable walking around with a 20k + watch. As much as I love some PM watches, I think I am most comfortable keeping the watches in my collection to < 10K at absolute max. Unless I get mega rich or something.

Buy only what you can really afford. Other than that, goes nuts and have fun.

Nothing in or out in 2018!
    Founder: 2018 CWC Watch Sabbatical