Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Porsche’s vs Newer Porsche’s

Old Porsche’s vs Newer Porsche’s

Ok, read a R&T article on a modified 993 model 911 and am curious. I have been lucky enough to own several Porsche’s since 2007. I have liked them all, they are incredible cars.
    The article talks about “forever build quality” in the older Porsche’s 993’s and earlier.
    I have never been lucky enough to ride in the older Porsche’s.
    Any guys that have older Porsche care to comment? Old vs new?

I have a 997 turbo with a manual tranny. Pretty raw at high speed. But from what I hear, the older ones are a blast, much more exciting, like being able to easily slide the rear out. The newer ones are more forgiving, with traction control keeping the dange down. But you can always turn it off. I haven't tried, too scared!

I have been fortunate enough to have driven several generations of these cars by knowing the right person, an engineer buddy who owned a 914 when I met him in university, then went on to a succession of Porsches starting with a 1969 911S. A well-sorted 993 is a treat......civilized enough for a daily driver but not really for long commutes....but where it really shines is on a blast through twisting back roads. It requires way more attention to drive quickly and safely. 993 Turbo is (was) my dream car, now sadly out of pocketbook range. Older than that are much more raw and visceral without creature comforts and electronic nannies. Way less power, challenging to drive well(verging on dangerous if you are used to a modern car) because of the suspension geometry, but you can work on them without a computer.

The modern water-cooled versions just keep on getting better, almost so the driver skill level does not matter. Less soul say the purists, but they sure go. That said, "there is no substitute".

I’m a die hard Porsche nut.
    The air cooled bubble grows and grows and grows.
    60’s 912’s fetch outrageous money in any country. 356’s that aren’t replica’s are unobtainium.

I owned a 91 911 C2 sunroof coupe for a decade. Sold it to a guy from Montreal and am kicking myself as that car has more than doubled it’s value from what I sold it for. 964’s are in high demand from the Singer’s/Magnus’ who are buying everything out there that has matching numbers.

993 values are meh.
    996’s have hit rock bottom. If you like fried egg headlights and that steering wheel....... it’s the value of the P-car market right now.
    997’s are still holding value - naturally aspirated purists love em
    991’s are holding a decent amount of value

I’m waiting for my daughter to finish university before seeking out something without a roof (not Ruf)
    Yukyukyuk
    BringaTrailer has sold a bunch of 928 GTS’s that are off the charts. You could buy those for nothing a decade ago. Now they are fetching massive dollars from a car that’s more expensive to maintain than a space shuttle.

Hard to find a “barn find” unless you directly know someone.... seems that everyone knows what these cars are worth now.

.... so if you own one........ keep it and drive the ever-living-poop out of it :-)

I've been a Porsche nut since I started reading my older brother's car mags as a young kid. I was born in '63 so it was destiny for me and the Porsche. The 911, to me, is the epitome of car design and engineering. You might get the idea I like Dr. Porsche's cars ha.

I kick myself everyday for passing up an '84 low mileage Targa a few years ago, I kick myself more for passing up an '86 sunroof coupe. These were two beautiful cars that I had the chance to own. I wont make these mistakes again if another mid-eighties crosses my path.

I ended up with a mint 2001 996 C4 (yep the fried egg headlights and ugly steering wheel) and I love the car. It's been exceptionally reliable and very fun. Prices are low so find a clean, well kept one and it will reward you with miles of smiles. Still, it's a Porsche so put money aside each month for service and maintenance.

My recommendation is to treat a 911 purchase like buying a Sub. Get the best, newest version you can afford for daily use then get the best mid-eighties air-cooled for pure 911 enjoyment and to look at. And save for service costs.

Then buy a Golf R for the winter so you don't miss the 911 to much.
    Cheers

^^^ hey Slingy, have you done your IMS/RMS?

And I don’t hate on the 996’s.... There are some very good deals to be had!
    996 turbo or C4S cab’s have been on the radar for sure

Older ones you drive. Newer cars seem to drive themselves.

I had an 1985 1/2 944 for a long time and loved that car. Very sold, fun to drive and a great handling car. A 996 was very nice to but obviously similar to a 944.

I drove a couple older 911's and they are fun to drive also. A newer Boxster did absolutely nothing for me however. That is my only experience with owning and driving Porsches and I will own another some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
    Older ones you drive. Newer cars seem to drive themselves.

I had an 1985 1/2 944 for a long time and loved that car. Very sold, fun to drive and a great handling car. A 996 was very nice to but obviously similar to a 944.

I drove a couple older 911's and they are fun to drive also. A newer Boxster did absolutely nothing for me however. That is my only experience with owning and driving Porsches and I will own another some day.
    **968 is similar to drive to a 944.**

Wish we could edit our posts.

Quote Originally Posted by von Gluber View Post
    ^^^ hey Slingy, have you done your IMS/RMS?

And I don’t hate on the 996’s.... There are some very good deals to be had!
    996 turbo or C4S cab’s have been on the radar for sure
    Yup, had it done as well as the rear seal. Prices have gone up on this bearing replacement as shops are gouging. My car is a low mileage that sat for long periods so was likely susceptible to the IMS failure although the bearing looked great when removed. I think the later 996s are the best value on the 911 market right now and even thought of a second as a winter car prior to buying the Golf R.
    Porsche are like Rolexes, you cannot just have one.
    Cheers

your winter beater .:R is also a great example of great machine that’s holding their value on the used market.

heh.... winter beater R
    never a bad day behind the wheel in your stable :-)
    cheers.