Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost interest in collecting watches

Lost interest in collecting watches

After more than 15 years of watch collecting and have had owned, sold and swapped tens of them from different brands and makes, I feel now that I almost lost interest in watches. That had happened after I moved to Canada more than a year back.
    I think the main factor is that most of my watches are sitting in a safe deposit box in the bank, secondly I noticed that (at least in where I live) people don't have that knowledge or the interest in collecting watches, they don't even notice if you wear a watch or not!
    Does anyone of you is experiencing the same feeling.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedalwan View Post
    After more than 15 years of watch collecting and have had owned, sold and swapped tens of them from different brands and makes, I feel now that I almost lost interest in watches. That had happened after I moved to Canada more than a year back.
    I think the main factor is that most of my watches are sitting in a safe deposit box in the bank, secondly I noticed that (at least in where I live) people don't have that knowledge or the interest in collecting watches, they don't even notice if you wear a watch or not!
    Thank you

At various periods of time, I have found myself not visiting the forums because the focus of my spending had trended away from watches. That said, I have never lost interest in them, rather I felt no need to switch up the collection (perhaps I was feeling as though I had reached the ever elusive 'watch nirvana').

Also, I never really cared if people didn't notice my watches, in fact, I almost prefer people to not notice them because then I feel more comfortable wearing them out. If I did store them in a safety deposit box, I probably would lose some interest over time because they'd be more inaccessible. Would it be possible to switch over to an in-house safe instead? That might help re-ignite the interest? If it doesn't, consider yourself lucky as you can free up some substantial cash to invest in other activities!

Hobbies comes and goes as with our interest. Having a community does help support pur interest but, sharing one's passion without anyone is quite boring and dreadful if there is no connection.

I've lost interest with vintage audio gear, though I still love the stuff to a degree. But, housing all that gear was too much.

Watches tend to be easier but, now that I've locked into what I like, collecting is waning and I prefer to wear a few pieces. I will mostly collect watches as souvenirs when I travel, especially if they have a historical connection with the country, like China, Russia, Romania, etc.

But, I love reading about watch movements.

After 59 years experience, I can guarantee you don’t live in a big watch area.

I think the main factor is that most of my watches are sitting in a safe deposit box in the bank
    No doubt about it. If you don't wear them and can't see them, how can you enjoy them. Bring them home and wear them. That should get your passion back.

On the other hand, if the watches are so valuable that you can't feel comfortable with them in your home, perhaps it's time to trade them in for some less valuable pieces that you can wear and keep in your home without fear.
    Rolex Submariner 116610LV
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710BLNR
    Longines Hydroconquest
    Raymond Weil Maestro
    Hamilton Intramatic Chronograph 1968
    Hamilton Intramatic
    Hamilton Trent quartz
    Many vintage Hamiltons
    Some odds and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemar View Post
    At various periods of time, I have found myself not visiting the forums because the focus of my spending had trended away from watches. That said, I have never lost interest in them, rather I felt no need to switch up the collection (perhaps I was feeling as though I had reached the ever elusive 'watch nirvana').

Also, I never really cared if people didn't notice my watches, in fact, I almost prefer people to not notice them because then I feel more comfortable wearing them out. If I did store them in a safety deposit box, I probably would lose some interest over time because they'd be more inaccessible. Would it be possible to switch over to an in-house safe instead? That might help re-ignite the interest? If it doesn't, consider yourself lucky as you can free up some substantial cash to invest in other activities!
    I agree with you, that we collect watches because we have the desire and the passion to do so, but sometimes you need to share your passion with others, if you don't find someone who notices, shares the thought or discusses with you and compliments what you wear then what's the point of wearing and changing your watches from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemcc View Post
    No doubt about it. If you don't wear them and can't see them, how can you enjoy them. Bring them home and wear them. That should get your passion back.

On the other hand, if the watches are so valuable that you can't feel comfortable with them in your home, perhaps it's time to trade them in for some less valuable pieces that you can wear and keep in your home without fear.
    They're not high end brands like PP, VC and AP, but I have three Rolexes and one Breitling which I'm keeping at the safety deposit box, other brands like Frederique Constant, Seiko and Casio I wear them in rotation.

Thank you

Share your passion here, with us!!!!

I am an extreme example, but my obsession with watches only escalates every year.

I once sold a few watches to consolidate down to one Rolex, and I literally started buying and trading again the very next day.

I am a lost cause!
    www.watchpaper.com

Wind 'em. Wear 'em. WatchPaper.

If you are keeping them in a bank safe, I can see how this can result. I have my watches on a winder and few other in a safe at home and I rotate. I do not buy watches to safe queen or Iím afraid to wear for various reasons.

I wear my watches in rotation and although not careless I do wear them as they should be enjoyed. Life is too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Rolex Day-Date 36 [18238]
    Rolex Datejust 41 [126334]
    Rolex Submariner Date [116610LV]
    Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
    Omega Seamaster Professional PO [2201.50 - 2500D]
    Omega Speedmaster Professional [311.30.42.30.01.005]
    Casio G-Shock Multi Band 6 [GW-5000-1JF]

Maybe I should move to Milton. Imagine the money I can save?