Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost interest in collecting watches

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedalwan View Post
    They're not high end brands like PP, VC and AP, but I have three Rolexes and one Breitling which I'm keeping at the safety deposit box, other brands like Frederique Constant, Seiko and Casio I wear them in rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That I don't understand.

Why buy watches if not to wear them? I probably take more of a haircut when I flip a watch than most because I do wear them, and I certainly don't baby them. Wearing the submariner today and if I bang it into something, oh well, life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by darryldale View Post
    That I don't understand.

Why buy watches if not to wear them? I probably take more of a haircut when I flip a watch than most because I do wear them, and I certainly don't baby them. Wearing the submariner today and if I bang it into something, oh well, life goes on.
    I acquired all my current watches when I was working in Dubai few years back and had the passion to buy and wear them. I still recall visiting preowned watches market, watch retailers and boutiques almost once or twice a week! I use to have many friends that enjoy collecting and talking watches. But as I mentioned in my post I lost the interests and I'm not buying or trading anymore

I acquired all my current watches when I was working in Dubai few years back and had the passion to buy and wear them. I still recall visiting preowned watches market, watch retailers and boutiques almost once or twice a week! I use to have many friends that enjoy collecting and talking watches. But as I mentioned in my post I lost the interests and I'm not buying or trading anymore

But not buying and trading <> not wearing.

Start wearing the pieces you have, don't let them collect dust in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhawli View Post
    If you are keeping them in a bank safe, I can see how this can result. I have my watches on a winder and few other in a safe at home and I rotate. I do not buy watches to safe queen or Iím afraid to wear for various reasons.

I wear my watches in rotation and although not careless I do wear them as they should be enjoyed. Life is too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I used to keep all my watches at home until one of our neighbors' house was broken into, since then I'm keeping all my brand watches in a safety deposit box

After more than 15 years of watch collecting and have had owned, sold and swapped tens of them from different brands and makes, I feel now that I almost lost interest in watches. That had happened after I moved to Canada more than a year back.
    I think the main factor is that most of my watches are sitting in a safe deposit box in the bank, secondly I noticed that (at least in where I live) people don't have that knowledge or the interest in collecting watches, they don't even notice if you wear a watch or not!
    Does anyone of you is experiencing the same feeling.
    Thank you

I understand where you are coming from. Once I had decided to try and sell off most of my collection and keep my very favourites, I realized that those are the ones I only really need. I do get on a tangent and search relentlessly for the one I think I want and then something else catches my eye, but only temporarily. After I take a while and think about it, what I would give up to get the other watch I feel I just have to have, it occurs to me that I would only wear the two most favourite I have now most of the time, my DJ TT and my Bluesy Sub. Other times I wear my Vintage Omega PP and two solid gold Omegas. All I really need I guess.
    Tom

Passion for the hobby starts to wane for me when I become too obsessed about buying something - those emotions are not fun. I donít want my hobby to be primarily about buying. So I force myself to read about watches (instead of for sale forums), the geekier the content the better. More recently I like books and magazines. I get drawn in and it rekindles my fascination with watches all over again.

Point is, maybe you need to come at the hobby from a different angle...start reading, visit stores, sell your collection and start clean slate, by an inexpensive watch you are not concerned about, go to a GTG, learn watch repair, etc.

Or maybe the whole thing has cycled for you and you need to do something else...itís just a hobby after all.

This is an interesting post, because the question of interest in fine watches depending on where you live is also important. The market in Canada is not a big and we don't have the selection (both new and used) the US or Europe obviously have.
    I live in the Ottawa area and although we have a population just over a million (including Gatineau), it's basically the desert in terms of the availability and interest in fine watches. The closest place where you do find a decent selection is Ch‚teau d'Ivoire in Montreal, then you have Toronto. But if you go to New York or Vegas, for instance, you will come across amazing selection, great boutiques and your interest will fire up again for sure !
    So yes, there is a challenge in terms of collecting watches when you are in an area where selection is bleak and people have no interest.
    One last thing: we were in Switzerland two summers ago! NOW that is enough to pique your interest again ! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Passion for the hobby starts to wane for me when I become too obsessed about buying something - those emotions are not fun. I don’t want my hobby to be primarily about buying. So I force myself to read about watches (instead of for sale forums), the geekier the content the better. More recently I like books and magazines. I get drawn in and it rekindles my fascination with watches all over again.

Point is, maybe you need to come at the hobby from a different angle...start reading, visit stores, sell your collection and start clean slate, by an inexpensive watch you are not concerned about, go to a GTG, learn watch repair, etc.

Or maybe the whole thing has cycled for you and you need to do something else...it’s just a hobby after all.
    Great thoughts !

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Passion for the hobby starts to wane for me when I become too obsessed about buying something - those emotions are not fun. I donít want my hobby to be primarily about buying. So I force myself to read about watches (instead of for sale forums), the geekier the content the better. More recently I like books and magazines. I get drawn in and it rekindles my fascination with watches all over again.

Or maybe the whole thing has cycled for you and you need to do something else...itís just a hobby after all.

I still like watches and have some passion toward them but not like before, the difference between now and before is that I used to enjoy wearing them on a daily basis, I don't remember going out without wearing a watch and matching the dial color or the watch style with what I wear.
    As for now that's gone, I rarely wear them except of course when I go formal otherwise I use the mobile to know the time. Despite all that I still intend to keep them waiting for that passion to reignite again in the future.

I used to keep all my watches at home until one of our neighbors' house was broken into, since then I'm keeping all my brand watches in a safety deposit box

Get a proper safe that is bolted to the floor and wall and keep your watches at home. Wear and enjoy them and have insurance.

Problem solved .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Rolex Day-Date 36 [18238]
    Rolex Datejust 41 [126334]
    Rolex Submariner Date [116610LV]
    Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
    Omega Seamaster Professional PO [2201.50 - 2500D]
    Omega Speedmaster Professional [311.30.42.30.01.005]
    Casio G-Shock Multi Band 6 [GW-5000-1JF]