Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost interest in collecting watches

Quote Originally Posted by Lhawli View Post
    Get a proper safe that is bolted to the floor and wall and keep your watches at home. Wear and enjoy them and have insurance.

Problem solved .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Iíd bet on this as well.

For me itís a sensory thing. I even find a difference between my hand-wind and my automatics because I interact more with winding and setting a watch each time I wear it.

If I were in your shoes Iíd try to find a way to get your watches back into your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep all my pieces at home, and I don't have a safe or vault. But I have a German Shepherd and she doesn't even allow the Canada Post guy 10 feet from my house! So I know my watches should be safe at home. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What you gotta do, you gotta do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    Passion for the hobby starts to wane for me when I become too obsessed about buying something - those emotions are not fun. I donít want my hobby to be primarily about buying. So I force myself to read about watches (instead of for sale forums), the geekier the content the better. More recently I like books and magazines. I get drawn in and it rekindles my fascination with watches all over again.

Point is, maybe you need to come at the hobby from a different angle...start reading, visit stores, sell your collection and start clean slate, by an inexpensive watch you are not concerned about, go to a GTG, learn watch repair, etc.

Or maybe the whole thing has cycled for you and you need to do something else...itís just a hobby after all.

To me this is excellent advice. Unless funds are limitless there has to be more to the hobby than just acquisitions or else losing interest seems inevitable. I have amassed a pretty large collection and feel that the acquisition phase is nearing completion (I have two more on my need list). As this list nears completion I have been transitioning to watchmaking itself. I can now disassemble/reassemble an ETA 6498 and will soon move onto cleaning and oiling. I hope that this phase will fuel my interest in watches for a very long time.

An interesting hobby comparison is home audio. For a few years I was heavily into home audio and I was relentlessly flipping/upgrading gear until I finally had enough. In all of those years my musical interests didn't really evolve. In my experience for most people in that hobby it is about the gear itself and the music seems a distant second. Visit an audio forum and you will be shocked at how little music is actually discussed.

why anyone keeps their watches in a safety deposit box is beyond me?

watches are meant to be worn. why bother buying a watch if its going to sit in a safety deposit box

LAME

Quote Originally Posted by skippy1416 View Post
    An interesting hobby comparison is home audio. For a few years I was heavily into home audio and I was relentlessly flipping/upgrading gear until I finally had enough. In all of those years my musical interests didn't really evolve. In my experience for most people in that hobby it is about the gear itself and the music seems a distant second. Visit an audio forum and you will be shocked at how little music is actually discussed.
    Audio equipment is an interesting comparison. I love the gear but itís mostly about the music for me. I hit the point of diminishing returns fairly quickly when I finally bought some good gear. My house is so small that I maxed out my houseí capability before my desire for more gear dropped. At that point, there was not much left for me as a hobby except to listen to the music.

When I look at it now, I am still happy with my gear and more involved in live local music. Yet what Iíve spent on watches shames what I ever spent on audio gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedalwan View Post
    After more than 15 years of watch collecting and have had owned, sold and swapped tens of them from different brands and makes, I feel now that I almost lost interest in watches. That had happened after I moved to Canada more than a year back.
    I think the main factor is that most of my watches are sitting in a safe deposit box in the bank, secondly I noticed that (at least in where I live) people don't have that knowledge or the interest in collecting watches, they don't even notice if you wear a watch or not!
    Does anyone of you is experiencing the same feeling.
    Thank you

Glad you shared your thoughts on the state of your collection. And excellent suggestions from all posters. After 15 years of collecting, I'm surprised you joined CWC last September. But I'm guessing you're looking to find that spark from this forum.
    You might. There is also a bigger and global forum called the WatchUSeek forum. Various watch subjects,brands,etc that might also revive your interest.

But if all else fails , leave the hobby and find another interest. And after a period of time, if you still have the interest by checking occasionally CWC, then we will be here.

Good luck.
    6.5" left wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Matanda View Post
    Glad you shared your thoughts on the state of your collection. And excellent suggestions from all posters. After 15 years of collecting, I'm surprised you joined CWC last September. But I'm guessing you're looking to find that spark from this forum.
    You might. There is also a bigger and global forum called the WatchUSeek forum. Various watch subjects,brands,etc that might also revive your interest.

But if all else fails , leave the hobby and find another interest. And after a period of time, if you still have the interest by checking occasionally CWC, then we will be here.

Good luck.
    Thank you all guys for you suggestions and support, I'm already a member of the Watchuseek forum since a long time in addition to other forums but recently joined CWC as I moved and settled in Canada.
    For sure I'll share my thoughts and watch passion with you all and wish you all a happy new year
    Thanks

Hey, if you and anyone else in or near MIlton want to get together and play with our toys pm me.

I have no problem at all, also would like to establish a group in Milton or surrounding areas and meet periodically

You gotta wear the nice watches more often and ditch the beaters. Life's too short not to have a nice piece on your wrist especially if you own a few.