Thread: What do you want to see?

What do you want to see?

So with the success of the thread on H Moser & Cie Swiss Icons watch I thought I would piggyback on that. There is a lot of people that seem to agree with Moser that the industry is stale and resting on their laurels, so lets discuss what we would like to see in terms of innovation. Do we need to see the use of more exotic materials, do we want to see creative ways to display the time, are we interested in more complications, do we feel that the entire movement needs an overhaul? What is it that would make us happy and feel that the industry is remaining innovative, creative, imaginative?

Normally as the OP I would offer up my opinion on what I would like to see, but as I expressed in the other thread, I'm quite happy. There are at least a dozen watches that I'd love to own from a large handful of brands. I throw this out there because I'd like to learn from the collective on what I'm missing out on, what I could be experiencing if the industry was pushing harder.

I would like see PP build sportier watches, which is very unlikely.
    Iwc and Rolex are already as beautiful as they get. However, I hope Rolex replaces Daytona 116500 with a different design that features more clear and bigger dial and equipped with a new chrono movement that Rolex has been working on.

More hand wind watches, focused on chronometric performance, with display back's, proper finishing. Ala Lange, Patek, Journe, Dufour etc. But try and bring the price level down. Less

I'm a purist, watches are first and foremost to me the intersection of design and engineering.

What I would love to see is a bespoke....or made to measure so to speak system available. Choose your case material, case size, various bracelet/strap options, dial colors, subdial colors, complications.....wishful thinking but I've thought so many times " I'd love that watch....but without the date. Or in brushed steel not black pvd.....or 41mm instead of 45". I Have 3 suits and 2 pairs of shoes made exactly the way I though a perfect version of each for me should be. And now I can never buy ready made again. For example I would love a PP Calatrava 5196 in steel and 40mm. Some may frown but for me it would accommodate my nickel allergy, my desire for simplicity in a dress watch and my huge wrist on which a 37mm case looks awkward.....but still being a Patek Philippe Calatrava.....instead of the JLC Master I settled for. Not exactly innovation in horology, but certainly makes for a greater accessibility to models we already really like....but could stand to really love

Quote Originally Posted by nickw View Post
    More hand wind watches, focused on chronometric performance, with display back's, proper finishing. Ala Lange, Patek, Journe, Dufour etc. But try and bring the price level down. Less

I'm a purist, watches are first and foremost to me the intersection of design and engineering.

I agree 100%. Improved chronometric solutions with excellent finishing. Lange is doing exactly that with innovative new movements built from the ground up with more realistic prices. You can certainly count on JLC for incredible new complications and designs at accessible prices. Patek and AP recycle the same movement and don't bother bringing something new to the table- this is not necessarily wrong as they have iconic pieces that we all aspire to own but it'd be nice to see PP and AP innovate and upgrade their finishing.

I think this industry is headed in the right direction. More emphasis is being placed on in-house calibers and hand finishing. Sizes are returning to sub 40mm and you have emerging brands shaking the status quo with their innovation as opposed to childish stunts.

Next week at SIHH some really nice pieces are going to be released and i believe we will be pleased.
    Instagram: Thewindingstem

Quote Originally Posted by Bocian View Post
    What I would love to see is a bespoke....or made to measure so to speak system available. Choose your case material, case size, various bracelet/strap options, dial colors, subdial colors, complications.....wishful thinking but I've thought so many times " I'd love that watch....but without the date. Or in brushed steel not black pvd.....or 41mm instead of 45". I Have 3 suits and 2 pairs of shoes made exactly the way I though a perfect version of each for me should be. And now I can never buy ready made again. For example I would love a PP Calatrava 5196 in steel and 40mm. Some may frown but for me it would accommodate my nickel allergy, my desire for simplicity in a dress watch and my huge wrist on which a 37mm case looks awkward.....but still being a Patek Philippe Calatrava.....instead of the JLC Master I settled for. Not exactly innovation in horology, but certainly makes for a greater accessibility to models we already really like....but could stand to really love

That would be nice but its extremely impractical from a company standpoint unless they charge you an arm and a leg. Out of the Trinity i believe VC and PP take custom orders but thats mostly reserved for grand complications - if you truly are interested in customizing a time-only watch id contact Kari Voutilainen.
    Instagram: Thewindingstem

6 figures for a custom independent is out of reach lol. I'm thinking more of a 30-50% over msrp to allow for color options, finishing options....perhaps Patek was a far fetched example, but many others already have a plethora of interchangeable components that are available in configurations strictly set by the manufacturer. It would be great to be able to set those myself.....for example I have the ICE 3777-10. Black dial with brushed bracelet and brushed bezel. The grey dial version has a polished bezel and polished links down the bracelet. Love that case and bracelet, but hate the grey dial....I'd be a happy camper to be able to tell my AD " have IWC put that dial in that case/bracelet" same components, different finishes....no extra inventory....just different configuration.

New designs. Everything is starting to look the same to me. H Moser & Cie has a point, the design ethos is stale. Companies are reissuing old models in limited editions, or selling models that are decades old, but they're all the same. Some companies issue new models that are 1mm or 2 thinner and there are press releases lauding the innovation. But they look exactly the same. Historical models, divers, that you can't even shower in? Aren't you embarrassed?

Rolex will atleast improve a movement or tweak it and not even tell the general public. Their watches have been improving under the radar for decades, and that's the way it should be. Their designs don't seem to change much, but atleast they're improving the overall watch.

I've seen some micro brands with some cool design cues. Why can't the big guys come up with something new?

Not continually recycling and reissuing past models would be a start. I would also like to see more manual wind models, with more attention paid to movement finish and timekeeping.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by Bocian View Post
    6 figures for a custom independent is out of reach lol. I'm thinking more of a 30-50% over msrp to allow for color options, finishing options....perhaps Patek was a far fetched example, but many others already have a plethora of interchangeable components that are available in configurations strictly set by the manufacturer. It would be great to be able to set those myself.....for example I have the ICE 3777-10. Black dial with brushed bracelet and brushed bezel. The grey dial version has a polished bezel and polished links down the bracelet. Love that case and bracelet, but hate the grey dial....I'd be a happy camper to be able to tell my AD " have IWC put that dial in that case/bracelet" same components, different finishes....no extra inventory....just different configuration.
    I agree with this whole-heartedly and believe that, within this day and age, could/should be within the realm of most manufacturers. IanCognito's "Modded Speedy" from a few threads back is a perfect example of what could be done, and what you're describing.