Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Samurai Purchase

Seiko Samurai Purchase

I was on a Caribbean cruise over the holiday and the ship called at Charlotte Amalie, USVI. The Samurai was on my shopping list and I expected to see some selection in the shopping mall just outside the cruise terminal. I went into 5 Seiko AD's and this was the only one that I could find.
    Without asking, the dealer gave me a price of US$315 which I thought was a deal. I looked it over carefully for the well known nits on this model. First, the alignment between the bezel, chapter ring and dial seemed to be pretty good but there may be a slight offset at 1, 2, 8 and 9. It was not significant enough to put me off. Second, there is this issue of the crown spacing between the lugs. This one was perfect. It seems to be running at -13 to -15 sec per day so far. This 4R35 movement is supposed to have a range of -30/+45. Its a chunky piece but I like the waffle texture dial and 2 tone bezel. Overall, its seems like good value for the money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040205.jpg  
    Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer
    Steinhart Ocean One Titanium 500
    Seiko Samurai SRPB051
    Casio G-Shock Solar G-9300

I'm wearing mine right now! Wind it and wear it. I find accuracy to be GREATLY improved when wound fully, or near full. Well above stated accuracy. I normally give the crown about 40 turns, set the time, then put it on. Give it a try, I think you'll notice a difference.

Thanks for the advice VIT. I will try that. I really wanted to find the blue dial model but this one was the only Samurai in the mall. Honestly, the finishing on the brushed parts of the case is bit lacking and I wish Seiko would sign the crowns but for the money it seems like good value.
    Seiko Samurai SRPB051

By the way, how does your Samurai line up on those issues I mentioned above?
    Seiko Samurai SRPB051

Nice one. The only issue I have with mine is turning the bezel. Stiffer than I’d like

Everything lines up very closely, way better than my SKX009.

I think the knurling in the crown and bezel reflect off the case in a funny way and makes the case finishing look off.

The waffle dial is pretty neat. Iíve got mine on a rubber strap and it looks great.

Love mine. Got the orange of amazon. Can't get much better than this foe the money. Mine has been keeping spectacular time...🤩 about - 2s/day

Bezel is turning great and aligns.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Breitling Navitimer 01
    Omega Seamaster 300mc
    Panerai 111
    Seiko Prospex Samurai Orange

I received my new Padi Samurai on Monday. You guys aren't going to believe this, but 4 full days of wear later, its +1 second total gain against my atomic signal clock. I checked it daily this week and it never varied outside of 0 to +1 second total gain. Lucky, but still unreal timekeeping. on the flip side, I also have a padi turtle and its not quite as stellar, but steady at -14 to -15 seconds per day loss.
    Enjoy your Samurais guys, its a cool watch!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	32836

VIT is right. The knurled bezel edge reflects off the polished high side of the case. And the bezel is a bit stiff (but its certainly not sloppy). I bought the watch on Dec 30 and have never manually wound it until today. It probably never had a full wind. So will be interesting to see how it runs +/- with that. I will run the time synch for another week. The Pepsi bezel looks great. I am thinking about what Nato's would look good ... maybe a charcoal. Any suggestions?
    Seiko Samurai SRPB051

A darker charcoal or black nato or zulu would look nice for sure. About the OEM bracelet, alot of people knock it, perhaps as the pin and collar system is a pain and may not be as reliable as screws, but I think the bracelet quality at the price point is very good. Glidelock and screwed links don't happen in the $300 USD range!