Thread: Sumo strap adjustment in Edmonton?

Sumo strap adjustment in Edmonton?

Hey all,

I'm relatively new here, but have dabbled in watches my entire life. My Sumo just showed up yesterday and I'm looking to have the strap sized to my wrist, at least until my Phenomenato strap shows up. I bought a spring bar off amazon to do this myself, but reading around online, it seems like it can be a bit of a pain with the spring and collar setup. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in Edmonton I can take it to to have it sized properly? I'm very picky with my stuff and would hate to have premature scratches on my band by having it done at some random jewellery store who doesn't care as much as I do.

Thank you!

For quick turnaround and fair pricing I like Europa Watch in West Edmonton Mall on Europa Blvd, they'll either do it while you wait or within 20-30mins if you want to take a stroll around the mall and come back. That being said, using a springbar tool isn't too challenging and if you're really worried about scratches you can apply masking tape (multiple layers even!) to the lugs prior to proceeding

Hey, by chance, are you the Tawheed I know from EMRA a few years back?
    Sorry I cant make any recommendation on the pin and collar sizing as I just do mine myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dre2600 View Post
    For quick turnaround and fair pricing I like Europa Watch in West Edmonton Mall on Europa Blvd, they'll either do it while you wait or within 20-30mins if you want to take a stroll around the mall and come back. That being said, using a springbar tool isn't too challenging and if you're really worried about scratches you can apply masking tape (multiple layers even!) to the lugs prior to proceeding
    Thanks for the recommendation, Iíll look into Europa.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
    Hey, by chance, are you the Tawheed I know from EMRA a few years back?
    Sorry I cant make any recommendation on the pin and collar sizing as I just do mine myself.
    Yeah, thatís me, small world!

Do you need anything other than a spring bar to do the sizing?

Thanks.

Hey Tawheed,
    I replied to your PM re:EMRA...small world indeed!
    I have a springbar tool, Bergeron 6767F, and the pronged tip is just the perfect diameter to match bracelet collars (at least on Turtle bracelets where you need something to hold back the collar when reassembling). What you need is a metal pin that is small enough to fit into the hole in the link, but big enough to hold back the collar when you go to reassemble the bracelet(assuming the collar on your sumo is on the outside end of the link like the Turtle). Then, you also need a smaller pin, that you can use to drive the bracelet pin through the collar to remove the pin and thus the link, and then again to drive the pin back through the collar when you reassemble the bracelet. If your sumo bracelet has the collars "restrained" within the center segment of each link(like the samurai bracelet does) its a whole lot easier as all you need to do is drive the bracelet pin out and then back in to reassemble, since the collars are held in place by the outer segments on each link. You will be able to tell which type your sumo is by examinination...if you see a split collar around the bracelet pin on one end, you need a second suitably sized pin to hold the collar back on reassembly. If all you see is the bracelet pin on both ends, then your sumo bracelet is like the Samurai I mentioned, and the collar is retained in the center segment of the link...then its a much easier job...just drive the pin out, remove the link, put the collar back in, assemble and drive the pin back in.
    Hope that helps Tawheed, Its pretty easy to do yourself after you take it apart and see how it works....and most importantly, you know its reassembled correctly and won't come apart!

If you decide to tackle it yourself, I'd be happy to help you in any way I can. I'd offer to do it, but while Im confident enough to do my own, I would just be concerned if I slipped and marked your bracelet. I could even walk you through in person, and you could use my tools, if you want to come out to Sherwood Park.