Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make Buy Sell Trade visible to public

I think on TRF i have to be logged in to see the pics?

Freshman Member
    I cant seem to reply to anything in the for sale threads.. Is it because im new and havent had anything to say in the forums yet?

Quote Originally Posted by FlippinZippo View Post
    I cant seem to reply to anything in the for sale threads.. Is it because im new and havent had anything to say in the forums yet?
    Click on the members username.and select " Private Message" there is no replying to others sales listings. Hope that helps, and a quick introduction never hurts. Welcome aboard

Sophomore Member
    So interesting, can you guys elaborate on what exclusivity you are talking about? Anyone can signup and there's no "vetting" of any sort.

To reiterate on my original example: I was also new member in 2015 with 0 posts, and bought my grail from a member here (Rolex BLNR)

So are you saying these type of people aren't welcome here then? And you want less of them??

This is so backwards to me guys, it's like planting a tree and limiting it's exposure to sunlight or water so it doesn't grow.

Aren't people who want to spend thousands on watches, likely to have a interest in participating in this community as well?

Not sure I'm getting anywhere... am I really all alone on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by onefishtaco View Post
    So interesting, can you guys elaborate on what exclusivity you are talking about? Anyone can signup and there's no "vetting" of any sort.

To reiterate on my original example: I was also new member in 2015 with 0 posts, and bought my grail from a member here (Rolex BLNR)

So are you saying these type of people aren't welcome here then? And you want less of them??

This is so backwards to me guys, it's like planting a tree and limiting it's exposure to sunlight or water so it doesn't grow.

Aren't people who want to spend thousands on watches, likely to have a interest in participating in this community as well?

Not sure I'm getting anywhere... am I really all alone on this one?
    I agree with some of your points. I just recently sold to a zero post member and had a fantastic experience. Super nice guy and all went very well. We all have to start somewhere and as a seller you have to do your homework a bit and make sure you are comfortable dealing with a buyer without feedback. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage those types of legitimate buyers from reaching out. That said, I do agree with other posters here - being able to see some activity from a potential buyer, whether its in the WRUW or whatever just so I can get a bit of a sense of who they are is immensely helpful. I throw some stuff up on Kijiji, and my experience as a seller is so much worse, despite ultimately moving stuff. 95% of offers are lowballs, zero accountability etc etc... we all know the perils of Kijiji. I look at the scam section of this forum and there hasn't been a scam originating from this forum that I have seen recently. I think that's pretty telling as to the way the community polices/regulates itself, which in my view is much much easier in a smaller forum.

First of all, it’s time consuming for Bobby to keep watch in the current state of affairs.... if for sale forum becomes wide open, then it’s more time and more risk.
    This topic has been flogged to death.

It’s not like Bobby is about to let some random guy (not username randomguy!) take on the responsibility and expose this great forum to potential crap.

Not worth it.
    Don’t like it?........ the door is that way———>

I should clarify a few things. First off, when the forum was first started, its sole mission was to promote inter-Canada trading. I started with different software that was so leaky that I spent half my days fending off onslaughts of scammers from all around the world, and there were only a few hundred legitimate members using the site. When I migrated to vbulletin I did so because it gave me the ability to "hide" the sales content from undesirables, and hence free up my time from having to swat away these members that had no business being on CWC. I then installed a human verification system with a question that every Canadian watch collector could answer, and that outsiders couldn't. It also prevented bots from registering bogus accounts. That still left the door open to Canadian scammers (yup, we have some... and apparently many international forums claimed that we were a country full of them!), so along the way I had to add a moderation level for new members to pass through before getting in. I physically inspect each new member in various ways using various tools at my disposal before they are let in. Scammers being scammers, they still find a way sometimes, so my security job doesn't end there... believe me. There are many more people attempting to rob you (us) of our watches than you may think. It is not just one unrelenting group... sadly.

It calmed down for a while (thought they had given up), so I removed the moderation level. At one point I polled the community to see if they wanted to be public and start allowing members from outside Canada (on our terms!) and I received a decisive no! But the Canadian scammers came back and now moderation is permanent.

As for our sales threads being viewed, the irony is that the average watch gets FAR MORE page views on its first day of listing on CWC than it does on the international forums, so I don't think you are losing as much exposure as you think. I always suggest that if you want the world as your buying target that you list on an international forum as well.

Put up a sub and you may get as many as 400 DIFFERENT members viewing that watch its first day!. And, the best part is that each and every one of those viewers is a real potential trading partner right here in Canada!!! And we all know how much simpler that makes our lives.

As many have noted, it is all about security. This site has grown into both a great trading platform AND a great discussion platform. It is something we can all be proud of.
    "A lifetime is so short... A new one can't be bought... But what you've got means such a lot to me" George Harrison 1966.

OP, Iím with you on this.

Donít really see the harm in opening the sales thread.

I believe weíre all big boys and girls here on CWC, that we donít need to be coddled and protected from potential scammers. You canít replace common sense. Potential scammers can still set up here easily.

Quote Originally Posted by mmdl8 View Post
    OP, I’m with you on this.

Don’t really see the harm in opening the sales thread.

I believe we’re all big boys and girls here on CWC, that we don’t need to be coddled and protected from potential scammers. You can’t replace common sense. Potential scammers can still set up here easily.
    Are you literate?
    Did you even read any of Bobby’s post?

<facepalm>

Quote Originally Posted by von Gluber View Post
    Are you literate?
    Did you even read any of Bobby’s post?

<facepalm>
    Am I not entitled to an opinion?